Monday, March 3, 2008

Guess what we have?

Friday, February 29, 2008


I was kneading pasta dough for that night's cooking class, when my cell phone rang. I looked at the caller id and my heart sank. It was Sophie, Sammy's teacher. The reason she usually calls me in the middle of the day is to tell me that Sammy is sick. The first thing Sophie said when I picked up the phone was, "Helen, don't worry." "Is everything ok?" I asked nervously. "Guess what we have?" said Sophie.


Could it be? Is it finally here? After 2 weeks of sleepless nights and almost gnawing a hole in our rubber bib, our first tooth came. "Yay!!!" I don't know why, but I was terribly excited. Not that Sammy can really chew anything yet, but it means that she is one baby step closer to being a big girl and joining us for our regular meals. It also means that the teeth won't be torturing her as much (though it's probably just my wishful thinking to get those lovely uninterrupted nights of sleep back).


So where is the tooth in the picture, you say? To tell you the truth, it's been 3 days and I still haven't seen it. I felt it with my finger and you can hear cling-cling when feeding Sammy with a metal spoon, but it's so small at this point that it's hard to see. From what it feels like, I think it's not just one, but two teeth that broke the skin already :)


Everything is moving so fast. For months, we didn't want to lie on our tummy, or hold our head, or sit, and all of a sudden -- bum! We are sitting on our own, we are crawling (though backwards like a lobster ;), we are eating chunky stuff, we are clapping our hands, we are even standing with support, and now we have a tooth! How did all this happen so fast?

No comments: